Monday, December 6, 2010

Final Project - Introduction and Reflection on the History of Graphic Design class

I learned a lot of useful and interesting information about graphic design and art from this class. Every week, I read assigned chapters from our textbook “Meggs History of Graphic Design” written by Philip B. Meggs and Alston W. Purvis. It turned out to be a very interesting book, I learned a lot about the history of Graphic Design starting from ancient times and ending with modern days. I liked that the book contained a lot of images and examples of work created by different designers; this made the book much more interesting, it was not just a mere collection of dates and events. I was introduced to amazing designs by different artists and I believe that this will help me develop as a graphic designer in the future. I liked seeing how designer tried to convey different ideas through their work and I learned a lot of different effective ways to express different messages through different design elements.

The quizzes that we had to do every week helped to stay organized and keep up with reading assignments. The field journal assignments that we had to do every week allowed me to learn more in-detail information about specific designs and designers. I found it to be very enlightening, inspiring and intriguing.

I think that class was very valuable to me, not only did I get to learn a lot about history of graphic design, the outstanding designer and their best works, but it had also opened up my eyes about the technological side of design and how much it influences the possibilities and creativity side of art. I will certainly have more appreciation for the technologies we have today and how much easier it is to work and develop ideas with all the different media available to designers nowadays. I know that all the information I learned from this class will help me grow as an artist.

I was very much inspired by a lot of different artists and I know that it will influence my designs in the future. I loved the works of Paula Scher, Alvin Lustig, Jean Carlu and others. I was surprised to learn that I like art works that were created in very different artistic movements. Now, I, too, will be inspired by those movements in my future designs. I am very glad I was able to learn all of these fascinating facts and ideas. Below you will find my field journals with more information about the subjects that I found to be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment